I’m blogging from the Romance Times Convention in NOLA! Fortunately, I had the pleasure of running into a couple of the ladies from Embracing Romance – Gina Conkle and Bronwen Evans. It’s truly been a once in a lifetime experience.
The 2014 RT Convention was nearly twice as large as last years and it’s easy to see why. With a city like New Orleans, it’s hard to stay out of trouble (the good kind). However, conventions can be intimidating – which is why I’d like to provide some pointers to both writers and readers prior to you making a decision about next year.
1. Get your game face on. I’ve never thought myself a “raving fan” of anyone before. I’m cool, right? Uber-famous people just don’t affect me. WRONG. On Tuesday, one of my favorite authors sat next to me during lunch. I almost, almost, made it through the meal. Then, I made the unfortunate mistake of making eye contact as I got up to leave and completely lost it. I was worse than a 12 year old at a Beiber concert. Not cool.
2. See the sites. You’ll need the breaks between workshops and parties, so take a stroll around the town and see what the host city has to offer.
3. Be ready to get your swag on. Authors are giving everything from screwdrivers (Shelley Bell!) to entire ARC’s. For those that love swag, this is the convention for you.
4. Don’t be afraid to talk to random people. This is the one place where talking to strangers is both encouraged and beneficial.
5. Travel in packs. Something like RT is best experienced with a friend …or four. It’s like a slumber party, sans Hello Kitty pajama pants. With naughty workshops that make even the most experienced New Adult author blush, it’s good to bring along someone to share the inappropriate giggles with. Besides – what fun is pin the kilt on the Highlander if you don’t have someone to take your picture?
Jessica Jefferson makes her home in northern Indiana, or as she likes to think of it—almost Chicago. She is heavily inspired by classic sweeping, historical romance novels, but aims to take those key emotional elements and inject a fresh blend of quick dialogue and comedy. She invites you to visit her at jessicajefferson.com and read more of her random romance musings.
Follow me at https://twitter.com/authorJessicaJ/
Add to your Goodreads shelf at http://tinyurl.com/mfnbyk8
Compromising Miss Tisdale and Taming Miss Tisdale available now on Amazon!
Miss Tamsin Tisdale believes herself to be completely unsuitable for London life. After a myriad of social mishaps, and the potential ruination of her family name, she’s shipped away to her cousin’s northern estate. Only after she accepts the type of existence Society dictates she must follow will she be welcomed home.
Marcus Winston, the Duke of Grayson, has a lackluster reputation. The last in a dying line, he’s endured a protected life—rank with privilege, but encumbered by isolation. After a brief encounter with rebellion, he learns the devastating consequences of his carelessness and willingly accepts living life from inside his gilded cage.
However, a chance meeting with the brazen Miss Tisdale gives Marc the opportunity to reinvent himself into the man he’s always dreamed of being. But when his deception comes to light, and ghosts from both their pasts threaten to unravel the intimacy they’ve come to cherish, will either of them set their fears aside long enough to embrace love? Or will Miss Tisdale’s stubbornness divide them?